Her father was James Cleland Burns of Glenlee, Hamilton. A director of the Cunard Line.

Selina ( Lina) Colquhoun Blake nee Burns, photographed in 1892.

Born 28 April 1862 at Lochwinnoch, Renfrew, Scotland.

She married Frances Douglas Blake of Tillmouth Park on 14 December 1886 at St Columbus, Crieff, Perth.

Died 12 September 1915 at Tillmouth at the age of 53.

“An active politician with great influence among the women of Berwick”


Her mother was Louisa Selina Colquhoun
She married Frances Douglas Blake of Tillmouth Park.

Above: This photograph found at the home of Angela Holmes had written on the reverse in Kathleen Grey's handwriting: " Great Grandfather Sir George Burns. Remember him with gratitude my children. Your mater built a home with his money!! and she hopes there will be a little left for all of you-" Kathleen was Selina's daughter. Sir George Burns of Wemyss Bay was the founder of the shipping firm G. and J. Burns, set up in the 1820s, which became the Cunard line. He was born on the 10 December 1795.
Inscription on the front page of a book of psalms.
Above: This may be a picture of Lina's mother Louisa Selina Colquhoun who married James Burns. It is a hand tinted photograph but there is nothing written on the reverse. The style is 1860s and portraits were often taken at the time of marriage. Selina married James in 1861.
Above: George Arbuthnot Burns, 2nd Baron Inverclyde. Son of John Burns, grandson of George. First cousin to Selina. Photographed by Elliot and Fry at 55 Baker Street. He died in 1905 at the age of 44.

Selina BURNS. SELINA, Lady Blake OF TILLMOUTH Marriage 14th of December 1866

The marriage of Miss Selina Colquhoun Burns, eldest daughter of Mr. James Cleland Burns, Ferntower, to Mr. Francis Douglas Blake, barrister, of Tillmouth and Twizel Castle, Northumberland, [created Sir Francis Edward Colquhoun Blake, Bart. in 1907] was celebrated on Tuesday in St. Columba’s Church Episcopal Church, Crieff. The bridesmaids, nine in number, were the Misses Grace, Margaret, and Bessie Burns, sisters of the bride; Miss Clay, sister of the bridegroom; Miss Burns and Miss Campbell Colquhoun, cousins of the bride; Miss Lowry Mann; Miss Crum – Ewing; and Miss Burnley. Mr. Arthur Blake was groom’s – man, and the clergymen were the Rev. Mr. Campbell Colquhoun, the Rev. O. W. Steele, and the Rev. A. Gray Maitland. The day was frosty and bright, and the church was crowded some time before the ceremony began.

Among those who received invitations – almost all of which were accepted – to the marriage and the breakfast were: – Mr. and Mrs. John Burns of Castle Wemyss; the Misses Burns; Mr. J. C. Burns; Mr. and Mrs. G. Arbuthnot Burns; Mr. and Mrs. Burns of Kilmahew; the Miss Burns; Mr. T. W. S Burns; Mr. Alan Barnes; Mrs. Clay; Miss Clay; Mr. Arthur Blake; Rev. O. W. Steele; Rev. Erskine and Mrs. Campbell Colquhoun; Miss Campbell Colquhoun; Mr. Kirksopp; Miss Crum – Ewing; Miss Lowry Mann; the Misses Reddie; Mr. and Mrs. Reddie; the Misses Colquhoun, Clathick; Mr. G. Munro; Mr. Dalmahoy; Mr. MacGeorge; Miss Burnley; Dr and Mrs. Bell; Mr. and Mrs. Sanderson; Mr. and Mrs. D. MacBrayne; Mrs. David MacBrayne; Mr. Hope McBrayne; Colonel Templeton; Mr. James Arbuthnot; Captain and Mrs. O. Rowe; Captain C. H. Dundas; Mr. T. Penny; Mr. and Mrs., and the Misses Graham – Stiring of Strowan; Mr. and Mrs. Maxton – Graham of Cultoquhey; Miss Helen Murray; Captain and Mrs. Black, Balgowan; the Misses Grant; General Briggs; General Nason, and Mr. and Miss Nason; Mr. and Mrs. A. G.Murray of Dollerie; Capt. and Mrs Knightly, and Miss Knightly; Dr. Alex. Thom and Mrs. Thom; Mr. Gillespie; Mr. A. G. Maxtone – Graham; Mr and the Misses Frost; Mr. W. Frost; Mr and Mrs Hicksonon – Fergusson; Capt. and Mrs. Cowan; Mr. and Mrs. D. Murray; Mrs. Anderson; Miss Maxtone; Rev. A. Henderson and Mrs. Henderson; Mr. and Mrs. Stewart – Robertson; Mr. and Mrs. Reid Stewart, Strathallan Castle; Mrs and Miss Wilson; the Rev. T. Hardy; Miss I Albouts; Rev. A. Gray – Maitland; Miss Rice; Mr. Albert Rowe; Mr Humphreys.

The ceremony was fixed to begin at noon, and punctually at that hour the bride entered the church on her father's arm, and was followed up the aisle by the bridesmaids. The marriage service of the Church was gone through, with full choral accompaniment, the two hymns sung being "Gracious Spirit, Holy Ghost," and "Thine for ever, God of Love." The bride was given away by her father. During the service the Rev. Mr Campbell Colquhoun delivered a short and appropriate address. At the close of the service the wedding party left the church amid the strains of the "Wedding March." And repaired to Ferntower, where a sumptuous dejeuner was partaken of. The health of the bride and bridegroom was proposed by Mr. Maxtone Graham, as an old friend of the family, and was heartily drunk. The bridegroom responded in suitable terms. About a quarter - past two the newly - wedded pair drove off, to catch, it is believed, the 2.40 train from Crieff at Innetpeffray. A large number of the guests, chiefly those from the west, shortly afterwards left to go by a special train, run for the occasion, which bought them in time for the ceremony, and which left Crieff again at three o'clock. The bride’s dress was of rich ivory satin, duchess trimmed, with handsome Brussel’s lace, orange blossom, and myrtle. The bodice and train were of rich ivory striped velvet, lined with satin. The costume was completed by beautiful wreath and veil, with diamond ornaments and a large bouquet of orange blossom, tube – roses, roses, and gardenias. Her travelling – dress was of heather – mixture, green and brown, with a jacket to match. The bridesmaids dresses were all white "liberty" silk, trimmed with Alencon lace, and set off by large white sashes, tulle veils, and aigrettes. Each carried a posy bouquet of white Chrysanthemums and brown ivory leaves, which, with diamond and pearl "monogram" bangles, were the gifts of the bridegroom. The presents received by the bride and bridegroom made a magnificent display, not the least prominent among them being the handsome dessert set from the merchants of Crieff, which was presented on Friday evening by Mr Craw, cabinet – maker, in the name of the subscribers.

(NB Transcribed from a typed transcription from an unseen newspaper original)