Family tree from the the back of Notes on Family Letters by Agnes Henrietta Pelly nee Campbell Colquhoun. The author is at the bottom left of the above tree. Her brother Archibald John b.1874 is the Cousin Archie known to the Grey family.
A holiday in Anstruther with the Colquhouns in 1928. Archie on the left with his and two of the Grey children on the beach at Elie in Fife. They also visited May Island. Photo from Hestia Grey's album.

Cousin Archie. Archibald John Campbell Colquhoun was born in 1874, at Crockham Hill in Kent probably at Chartwell. His parents were John Erskine Campbell Colquhoun and Emily Agnes nee Bevan. He had 6 sisters two of whom Alice and Lillian married Bousanquets. He had 2 older brothers William, and Laurence who died aged 1. The family can be found at Chartwell on the 1891 census when Archie was 17; they have over 13 servants. He married Anna Ross who was said to be his mother’s ladies maid. There are 3 ladies maids to the household in 1891 but none of them are called Anna. She was born in Rosshire so may have worked at another house in Scotland. He is no longer at Chartwell in 1901, and married about this time.

By 1911 at the age of 37 he was living at Mountside in Bushey Watford, Herts., in a 7 room house with his wife Annabella aged 30. They have been married for 10 years, and have two daughters Christian Anna Lily (later called Kitty or Curstie) aged 2 born in Bushey and Mhora Agnes aged 3 months also born in Bushey. They have 2 servants a nurse and a general domestic. His occupation is given as Painter Artist. They were later to have more children, Mhairi (Scottish pronunciation Va-Ree), Ian Archibald Erskine born about 1917 and the youngest Laurence who was called Sammy.

Archie had his breakfast walking round the table in his kilt because “your enemy may come”, he ate out of a wooden bowl with a horn spoon.

Archie's sons Sammy and Iain in their Sunday best in 1928. From Hestia Grey's Album.

The Campbell-Colquhoun Family of Chartwell, Clathic, Killermont and Garscadden.
A wedding group at Chartwell showing Archie's parents: John Erskine Campbell Colquhoun and Emily Agnes nee Bevan, and four of his sisters, Alice, Lilian, Rose, and Janet. Posted on by Stoatmonster in May 2013 as part of the Hobkirk & Stone Family Tree. The photograph passed from Cicely Alice Colquhoun (Bosanquet) Shelley to her grandson, the current owner, Nicholas Shelley Tanner (Cirencester, Gloucestershire), 2013. The details given below are from the same site.

The Chartwell Wedding Group, 22 November 1915, Chartwell House, Westerham, Kent, England.

The family celebrate the marriage of Frederick St. Clair Farran (1876–1934, bridegroom) and Rose Eleanor Campbell-Colquhoun (1871–1937, bride). From left to right, the sitters are, back row: Henry Theodore Augustus Bosanquet (1870–1959); Cicely Alice Colquhoun Bosanquet (1893–1954); Eveline Louise Emmeline Bosanquet (1899–1977); Nicholas Conynghame Symonds Bosanquet (1881–1955); Kate Madeline Farran (1882–19??); Esme Eileen Louisa Farran (1893–1987); Gwendolen Ethel Chomley Farran (1880–1939)

Front row: Dauphine Letitia J. C. Bosanquet (1914–1980); Eveline Janet (Campbell-Colquhoun) Bosanquet (1876–1943); The Rev. John Erskine Campbell-Colquhoun (1831–1917); Emily Agnes (Bevan) Campbell-Colquhoun (1839–1916); the bridegroom; the bride; Ethel Kate (Simmons) Farren (1856–1930); Lilian Powys (Campbell-Colquhoun) Bosanquet (1872–1947); Alice Emily (Campbell-Colquhoun) Bosanquet (1867–1932); and seated on lawn (front centre), Lilias Merelina Bosanquet (1902–1983).

John Erskine Campbell Colquhoun and Emily Agnes nee Bevan. John Erskine owned Killermont and Garscadden. He inherited them when his older brother Archibald died.
Photo from Scottish War memorials web site. The memorial stood at the southside of the Monzievaird & Strowan Parish Church, which was built in 1804 and demolished in 1964. Two of Iain's cousins who died in WW1 are also commemorated on it.
iain Campbell Colquhoun on the left, at the 21st birthday party of Robert Grey at Milfield Hill on the 19 August 1938. He was a sweet gentle natured man. He was stationed at Alnwick Castle in WW2 with his regiment and shot himself there; his younger brother Laurence (Sammy ) later also committed suicide. Photo from Robert Grey's album. (Below) This may be Iain's name on the memorial for WW2 soldiers near Comrie. He lived at Ballaig.
A fete at Garscadden, Drumchapel, photographed by Robert Grey in 1934.
Garscadden a photograph from Glasgow Story web site.
The plaque in front of the mound that is all that is left of the house. Photograph by Michelle O'Connell, posted on flickr.
Above: Photograph from bebo Below:photo from flickr
Killermont still stands and is used as the clubhouse for Glasgow golf club, who bought it in 1904. Photograph by Thomas Annan 1870, from The Glasgow Story website.
Archie's parents John Erskine Campbell Colquhoun and Emily Agnes nee Bevan died during WW1. They are buried at Holy Trinity Churchyard at Crockham Hill. His mother Agnes died at Chartwell on 26 November 1916 and Archie was named in the probate as a Captain in the Queens Own Cameron Highlanders. Only 2 months later his father John Erskine (of Killermont and Garscadden) died at Eastbourne on 19 Jan 1917. Archie is named on the probate along with Sir Francis Douglas Blake. On the same page the probate register records the death of his cousin William Campbell Colquhoun of Clathick who died on 11 September 1916. William was Selina Burns oldest brother. He had married twice and had 11 children. Two of the boys by his second wife Mary were killed in action in WW1. Hugh Lumsden C.C. 3rd Battalion, attd. 1st Battalion, Black Watch (Royal Highlanders), who died in France in 19 Sept 1918 and Ernest Forbes C.C.
Clathick from the online archive of St Johns, Edinburgh.
From South African War Graves Project web site. Ernest came from Rhodesia, South Africa, where he was farming, to enlist.
PERTHSHIRE ADVERTISER: 30.10.1920 MONZIEVAIRD WAR MEMORIAL UNVEILED In common with other places, the inhabitants of the parish of Monzievaird and Strowan paid a tribute of respect to their honoured dead who fell in the Great War by erecting a monument as a memorial to commemorate their memory, and as a lasting tribute to let the future generations yet unborn know the sacrifice made on their behalf. The unveiling ceremony took place on Sunday afternoon, and a great concourse of people assembled to take part in the ceremony. Among those present were the Hon. Mrs Williamson and rev. Mr Williamson, Tomperran; Major B. Ernest and the Misses Graham Stirling of Strowan; Major, Mrs, and Mrs Ernest Colquhoun, Clathic; Mr Keith Murray of Ochtertyre, Capt. And Mrs Rockey, Lawers; Mr and Mrs Sharp, Westerton etc. The Rev. Wilson Bell, minister of the parish conducted the service, assisted by the rev. Canon Meredith, Crieff; Rev. Dr Thomson, Dunning; Rev. Mr Murray, Monzie; and the Rev. Mr Ferguson, Crieff. The praise was led by Mr H. M’Kinstry, Comrie. Miss Dow, the organist of the church, officiated at the organ. After the singing of the hymn, “For all the saints that from their labour rest”, and the reading of the New Testament lesson by the Rev. Canon Meredith, from Rev. vii, 9-17, the Rev. Wilson Bell read the Roll of Honour, after which Mrs Campbell Colquhoun of Clathic (who lost two sons in the war) gracefully performed the unveiling. Visibly affected, she said: “I unveil this monument to the glory of God in memory of the brave men who fell in the Great War belonging to this parish”. The Rev. Mr Thomson offered the prayer of Dedication, after which Mr Haig, D.S.O., T.D., R.A.M.C., delivered an address full of touching passages. “How bright these glorious spirits shine”, having been sung, the benediction pronounced by the Rev. Wilson bell, and the singing of God Save the King”, an interesting and impressive service was brought to close. The monument is of Killelo-Aberdour freestone with four panels surmounted by a dome and bronze ionic cross. At the top of the north panel immediately underneath the dome is a pelican in the act of feeding her young, the whole presenting an interesting and effective appearance. The architect of the monument was Mr Reginald Fairlie, Edinburgh. Mr James M'Cowan, builder, Comrie, executed the work. At the close of the service several beautiful were placed at the base of the monument. Misses and Mr Ernest Graham Stirling of Strowan placed one, and Colonel and Mrs Reddie likewise paid their tribute of respect. The front and back panels of the monument bear the following transcriptions and names:- “To the glory of God and in memory of the men connected with Monzievaird and Strowan Parish who gave up their lives for King and country during the Great war 1914-1919. Greater love hath no man than this that a man lay down his life for his friends”. Capt. W.W. Cooper, 1/1st Ayrshire Yeomanry; Capt. J. Ewing, M.B., R.A.M.C.; Cpl. J. Carr, R.A.S.C.; Signaller W. M’Kenzie, 12th Royal Scots; Pte. G. Newlands, 54th Canadians; Rev. D. Heggie (Capt.), Chaplain, H.M. Forces; 2/8th Royal Scots; Lieut. E.F. Colquhoun, 2nd R.W. Fusiliers; Pte. G.T. Gibson, 2nd A.& S. H.; Gnr. A. M’Laren, R.G.A.; Pte. J.M. M’Ewan, 7th Cameron Highlanders; Capt. H.L. Colquhoun, M.C., Cpl. D. Lawson, L/Cpl. J. Stothard, L/Cpl. W.R. Donaldson, Signaller D.T.J. Dow, Pte. A. Morrison, Pte G. Wilson, all Black Watch.
Cousin Archie died on 27 February 1945 and in the probate record is said to be of Ballaig and Killermont. It seems likely that he had inherited Killermont because his older brother William had died before him.